Monday, May 5, 2008

More about me

Got tagged by Jonathan (who is a math teacher)

The rules:

1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.


Here we go.

1) What was I doing 10 years ago?
May 1998. Completing my first few months of teaching in a high school in Sarajevo. I had just returned from Croatia where I finished my undergrad. I loved the job, but hated being in Sarajevo. Had no friends left, knew no one, stayed with my parents, decided I needed to leave. I asked my undergrad advisor if it was too late to apply for grad school in the US. People he knows said to go ahead, and accepted me without a GRE or TOEFL. Borrowed money for a plane ticket and three months later landed in SLC.

2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today (not in any particular order):

(I’m giving tomorrow morning’s list)

1. Finish writing up observation notes for a student teacher I saw teach few months ago!? Eek.
2. Give a tour and entertain 35 high school students who are interested in teaching math.
3. Clean up my office, it is super messy.
4. Start seriously putting together the geometry workshop I'm organizing this summer.
5. Run (this should be number 1)

3) Snacks I enjoy:

Candied ginger and almonds. Pretzels.

4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire:

1. Billionaire?
2. Give it away?
3. Save lots to travel :)

5) Three of my bad habits:

1. Putting things off
2. Giving up on things
3. Biting my nails now and then

6) 5 places I have lived:

1. Sarajevo
2. Zagreb
3. Salt Lake City
4. Ann Arbor
5. Barcelona (very briefly, almost doesn't count)

7) 5 jobs I have had:

Yeah, right. Afraid this one will be a short list, unless I can put the jobs I could imagine myself having.

1. sort of an accountant
2. mathematician, although I list this reluctantly. I have still to decide what that really means.
3. teacher

8) 6 people I wanna know more about:

1. H
2. lsquared hasn't started writing yet, but comments often.
3. Vlorbik
4. IB a math teacher

A needy friend needs me, so 4 will have to suffice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, e. vlorbik here.
thanks for the attention.

1. what was i doing 10 years ago?
working here (& a couple other
colleges around town).
making zines. also webpages.

2. five things-to-do (today!).
i.) figure out what to do
in today's calc 3 class.
ii.) actually do it.
iii.) mess around on the web.
iv.) um.
v.) go home and rub the cat.

3. snacks
whatcha got?

4. if i had a billion?
set up my family and disappear.

5. three bad habits
morbid self-absorbtion.
impatience. prima-donna-ism.

6. places lived
bloomington indiana
(or, rather, indiana u.).
zagreb (small world, that).
thousand oaks, california.
las vegas, nevada.
columbus, ohio.
(pretty much it; throw in
indianapolis & we're done.
i don't like moving around
*nearly* as much as, say,
jd2718 or e. strangers, yick.)

7. five jobs.
bellboy, phone solicitor,
carpet cleaner, grill cook,
dock monkey ...

8. homey don't meme.

H. said...

Maybe I'll get back to this. Just haven't muddled around to it yet.