Friday, April 13, 2007

Equity in the classroom

I've been thinking about how best to discuss the issues of equity in the classroom with pre-service teachers. Some people aren't aware of myriad of issues that exist when one is placed in a diverse population of students (some people still grow up in homogeneous environments). What would be the best way to discuss this in a methods course? I have a classroom episode that involved ESL students which I think would be good to discuss, but there are plenty of other things I would like them to think about, such as cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, gender, disability, different learners.... So, do I just try to weave that into the course as it goes on and not talk about it in one spot concentrated, rather keep coming back to it throughout the year?

No comments: